Wednesday 21 September 2011

Getting the Ol' Ball Rolling - oops, that's not a mandolin metaphor

I don't think I should be surprised that in staying engrossed in the world of academia I find myself thrust back into the world of blogging.  After all, a degree in English implies a writer's bent to say the least, and in this wild web-wide world one of the best ways to hone those writing chops is to do it online.  So here I am.

Either fortunately or unfortunately, this is not my first blog.  Perhaps some day I'll have the courage or lack of self-preservation to post a link to at least two other blogs that may reveal more of me than is warranted. Perhaps.  But for now, I think I'll just occupy myself with trying to maintain a relatively consistent presence here without resorting to useless drivel about my drive into work that morning.  Unless of course the drive/ride into work that particular morning is noteworthy in any way.

The terrible pun on noteworthy leads me to my next point (which judging by the clock ought to be my last one), which is that I will be turning this blog on a mandocentric axis.  I don't think mandocentric is really word, but I've spent the last four years of life watching as professional writers crank out words that are highly imaginative additions to the lexicon.  Sitting down at an exercise a while ago, trying to come up with a first page for my autobiography - it was a class assignment, I promise - I realized how hard it would be to come at a telling of my life from just one angle.  This difficulty is consistent with much self life writing, as I've been reading over the last week.  So I picked one.  I'm going to try to present myself on this blog through my experience of being a mandolin player.  It seems specific enough that I just may be able to interest a few readers who are interested in musings on the mandolin and a life that is lived around one.  Perhaps it is too specific, and dull, and maybe I'll drop the idea altogether, but I think it's a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment